Sunday, April 22, 2007

This was our city's Spring Cleanup weekend. This means that we all haul as much junk as we can to the curb and the city will pick it up for free on garbage day. What a wonderful service! We cleaned and cleaned, sorted through closets and boxes so we could take full advantage of this weekend. We were focused on ridding ourselves of the things we don't want or need anymore.

Sadly, this isn't always the items that are broken, ruined and un-donatable. This is why beginning Friday night, you see cars and trucks and vans and trailers slowly stalking the streets for treasures. Up until today, I found this entertaining.

But earlier today, a car pulled up to our curb. If I were to make judgements based on the vehicle they were driving, this was not a well-to-do family. This car had two children in back. They had just taken shoes, a plastic safe my daughter didn't want anymore, and an old jewelry box and it was as if they had just experienced the best Christmas of their lives. They then hit the neighbor's curb and we saw them digging through bags, pulling out clothes for the kids. I have been in tough spots before. I have had my electricity turned off and I've bounced a check to put gas in my car to get to work. But I have never had to rummage through garbage to find clothes for my children.

I was saddened to tears. Not only for their situation, but for ours. We are so blessed - and we obviously have way more than we need. And here is a family THRILLED with the clothes and toys tossed off by strangers.

Tonight I'd like everyone reading this entry to take a moment to say thank you for what you have. For the electricity that is running the computer you are blessed to own. For everything you have in your life - give thanks. And then I ask you to think what it is that you don't need - what your kids don't need...and please find someone who does and give it to them.

No comments: