Friday, March 12, 2010

Every once in awhile I try a new recipe that just rocks...and this one was definitely a keeper! So good I wanted to share it with you. This is a microwave (score!) Pampered Chef recipe for the deep covered baker. If you don't have one of these "magic pots" - you have to - HAVE TO get one! I scored one free last fall when I hosted a party...but even if I had to pay full-price it would have been worth every penny! Trust me...I've never steered you wrong! You can order one here. I don't benefit if you order...I'm not having a show, I don't sell the stuf...it is just one of those products that you MUST tell everyone you know about! Ok...on to the recipe! Again, I modified this recipe, so here is MY version:

2 lbs of ground beef
1 egg
1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
1 diced green pepper (I diced a whole green pepper but it looked like too much, so I used about half)
1 diced onion (didn't have one...so I threw in some dried onion flakes...worked just fine)
1/2 cup of cheddar cheese (of course I used more...just supporting America's Dairymen. I actually didn't have shredded cheddar on hand so I used a blend of Kraft's shredded white mexican cheese (not the blend of cheese...but all white) and colby/jack)
1/2 cup of salsa (I probably used a little more than this...I just dumped it in. I used my Dad's canned salsa from his garden - but any would do)

I mixed all of this together and shaped it in my deep covered baker. Then I covered it - popped it in the microwave for 18 minutes. Uncover it....dump some more salsa on top (probably 1/4 cup?)...pop it back in microwave for about 5 minutes. Then take it out again and dump more cheese on top (if you want...duh!).

I did drain some liquid (created from meat and salsa) after the 18 minutes - but it really doesn't hurt anything to have the liquid in the bottom. The house smelled DELICIOUS and it tasted AMAZING! super moist.

Now, if you're skeptical about cooking meat in the microwave...that's because you don't have the Deep Covered Baker. Trust me.....it is like you cooked it in the oven! But done in 20 minutes! The meat doens't have that weird gray color from the microwave...it is just like oven-cooked meat - HONEST!

This would have been great with mexican rice...but I didn't have time for that. Also - please note the original recipe called for 1/2 cup ketchup instead of salsa....and it called for the Pampered Chef chipotle rub, which I omitted. The salsa gave me the flavor to make it "southwest." It also called for a little less cheese.

Order your magic pot and make this recipe - I promise you'll love it!

No comments: