Friday, April 23, 2010

DIY Didn't I Think Of This Sooner?!

Hi! This is Jodi over at "All About The Mom of 'Em." I hope you enjoy my Quick & EASY tutorial where I turn a $2.50 garage sale find into a cute and useful scrapbook/sewing organization tool.
Yesterday the kids and I went garage-saling (Thursday sales are da-bomb!). I didn't find much, but I did score this baby for $2.50.
Now, it might not look like much...yucky oak...and greasy/stained spice lids, but I had a vision. Let me show you the step-by-step:

1. Not much to look at.

2. Dishwasher for all removable parts and anti-bacterial Windex to clean up the rest.

3. Spray paint! (Only Krylon, people...trust me. I found mine at Hobby Lobby for $3.99). Now because I didn't sand first or prime..the paint didn't take well everywhere..but no worries! It's the distressed look the EASY way!


4. Find coordinating scrapbook paper in a color that "goes" with the spray paint color

5. Trace around upside-down lids
6. Cut out your circles


7. MOD PODGE, baby!

8. Let dry

9. Fill with whatever (I plan to fill with brads, eyelets, scrap ribbon, etc.)

10. Enjoy! She's a BEAUT for $2.50 and some supplies I had on-hand, don't ya think?

2 comments:

kmr said...

I am VERY much impressed.

Natalie Meester said...

stopping by from the creative girl and noticed you are also from Iowa! yeah! Not too many iowa bloggers yet it seems.