Monday, April 02, 2007

Lovin' the Easter Bunny....umm..not so much.

Today was the day Lauren was going to see the Easter Bunny. I told her he was big, but nice and soft and that he had a toy for her. We arrived at the mall and she was excited to see him. That is, until it was her turn to walk up to him. She started out very slowly....and then looked up at his larger-than-life head and started to cry. She was scared! I snapped a quick picture and then off we went.

I tried to distract her with the nice toy the Bunny had given her - but now she didn't really like that, either...because it came from the creepy Bunny. And then her eye caught the Easter train. Fun! I could see excitement in her eyes. So we walked over to the train.

I explained to the money-taker that I wasn't sure if she'd really like the train..and could he stop it if she freaked out. He was a wonderful man - said he wouldn't take my money until we saw if she would be okay. So on the train she climbed. We taught her how to ring the bell (the coveted seat on the kiddie train). And off the train went.

Lauren was the only kid on the train - and she wasn't so sure this was fun anymore once it took off around the little track. I waved enthusiastically from the sidelines...shouting many things that only Mommies shout in public...like "Wee!" "That's Fun!" "Hi!" "I see you!" and many other phrases that would have had Bailey diving under the nearest rock.


Finally, after four times around the track, the train stopped. Lauren emerged from the train with HUGE tears on her cheek. She wasn't actively crying - but had the saddest look on her face!
Honestly - I was just trying to let her have fun this morning - but it turned into a torturous ordeal! I thought I'd make it up to her by getting her a Happy Meal for lunch....but she replied, "No, no, no"...in a terrified voice with big scared-to-death eyes. "Home," she said.

As we left the mall, she waved at the Easter Bunny and said "Hi" repeatedly. I think she was so relieved to be leaving that horrible place with that wretched bunny.

Who decided it was a cute idea to incorporate a GIANT furry rabbit into the holiday anyway? Little tiny bunnies - cute. Big, giant-headed bunnies...scary! Mommy's sorry, Lauren.

No comments: