Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Today was a very high-fructose sort of day. It started with my glucose test. I was scheduled to take it last week, but the clinic called me the day before my appointment to reschedule (how annoying is that?!). So now instead of going to the much easier to get to West side location, I now had to go downtown to the hospital, park, walk, take elevators, etc. bluck. My appointment was at 9 a.m. I was to go to the lab first to drink the extremely sugary, barely drinkable "juice" and then travel 5 flights up to my OB appt.

Well, I quickly learned a new theme to this week and that is no one is holding up their end of the deal on appointments this week! (see yesterday's post on how THAT all started). Anyway, I get there and they don't have me down. They don't have my chart, they don't know how far along I am, they don't know if I"m there for a 1-hr. glucose test or the 4-hr. test. For goodness sakes! These are the people I'm relying on to help me deliver a healthy bouncing baby? G-R-E-A-T. Finally they get someone on the phone that has at least heard of me. They give me the juice and I begin my journey upstairs.


I've never been to this office. My OB group recently merged with another group (never works out to be a good thing for patients) and this was my first trip to the new office. And guess what? They didn't have my chart. They asked who I was seeing and I told them the Dr.'s name...nope...he's not down here today. Great! So when they rescheduled me they changed the Dr. I was seeing and didn't bother to tell me. That was especially nice. Finally they took me back and weighed me (hate that), took my blood pressure and the usual. My BP was a little elevated. (Ya think? I've just parked a mile away, walked downstairs to the lab where they didn't expect me, drank pure sugar, raced up 5 flights where I was greeted with more ignorance.) Finally I was seen by not a Dr.....oh no....but a nurse practitioner. I have nothing against an NP - but after all this - at least let me see a real live OB please.


The checkup was uneventful, and still waiting on the glucose results. The silver lining today? I'm far enough in the pregnancy that I start going every 2 weeks instead of every month. We're getting closer!!!


I hope a complete stranger doesn't deliver this baby. I want Osborn - you hear me, Perry? No strangers....I want the OB I've come to trust. Pencil it in.


I digress. Anyway - how is it a high fructose kind of day? Well, this afternoon the girls made chocolate chip cookies. I better eat them now...just in case my glucose test results are bad and they cut me off soon. =-)

No comments: