Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Beggar's Night

In Iowa - or at least in Central Iowa, they have something they call "Beggar's Night." This is when the kids dress up in costume and go trick-or-treating. The strange part? Well, there are many - but unlike the rest of the country, the kids trick-or-treat on Oct. 30...not the actual date of Halloween. Also, people expect kids to tell jokes when they trick-or-treat. I have no idea how this originated. It is wierd.



This year Bailey decided to hand out candy - but she DID dress up. She found a formal-type dress at Goodwill ofr $11, put on a tiara and voila - princess Bailey was born. She invited a friend over to hand out candy. Mark watched Grant and Lauren...I mean Goodnight Bear and I set out for candy.

Lauren LOVED the experience. The first couple houses we rang, Lauren would wait for the owners to open the door, then she'd say "Trick-or-Treat" and then a big "Thank You." She continued to say thank you several more times as we walked away from each house - and then she'd stop and say "More House?" Yes, my child is into the candy collecting thing. I'm definitely going to have to hide her big pile of candy and ration it out...but then if I hide it...I'LL still know where it is...and that's probably even more dangerous.




No comments: