Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Our Weekend Trip - Part I - The Niedermeier's

Our first stop on our weekend getaway was my Grandma & Grandpa Niedermeier's house. I have so many wonderful memories of being a kid at their house. Fishing, feeding the calves, running through a lawn sprinkler, playing cards with Grandma and more. Now that I am grown, married and have children of my own, I absolutely love taking them to my Grandma & Grandpa's house so they too can experience a little bit of the love and beauty found in such a rural farm setting. They have been married over 65 years (can you imagine?!) and they have so much love for their family. The family isn't perfect - noone's is...but even in the flawed moments, they have nothing but love to give.

Grandpa still helps out on what is now my uncle's farm, so he was more than happy to take the two girls down to the farm to look at the cows. (something my city-boy husband thought was pretty gross). For me? In a sick and sordid way, the smell of cow manure and silage brings back warm and wonderful memories for me...memories of Grandma & Grandpa's house. Now my girls, too would get to experience a little of this. The best part? I'm sure the walk with Grandpa.



They loved all of my kids, of course, but I seem to have snapped the most pictures with Grant in the shot. Maybe that's because Lauren doesn't sit still long enough for pictures? Here are a few:

Grandma Niedermeier w/GrantGrandma & Grandpa with Bailey - look at those million-watt smiles!
Grandpa Niedermeier w/Grant Grandma invited her two sisters over to see our family too, Aunt Josie and Aunt Barbara. Aren't they pretty sisters? I hope I got me some o' those genes!

My Uncle Ross, Aunt Cris, Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Cliff, cousin Angie and her family and cousin Michele and cousin Kyle all dropped in to see us too. Lots of love, didn't I tell ya?

Weekend trip - part II on tomorrow's post.



1 comment: