Saturday, March 24, 2007

My husband and I purchased $50 worth of gift certificates from Hessen Haus for $25 (101 4th Ave., Des Moines) at http://whotv.realdeals-tv.com/

Tonight we decided to have a date-night and cash in on Des Moines’ German cuisine. What we were surprised to find was an experience we might want to share with the kids in-tow. Granted, the Hessen Haus IS a “bar,” it was also much, MUCH more than that. In fact, as we entered the front door, we saw at least two families dining with young children. I immediately noticed that high chairs were available.

We headed clear to the back of the restaurant to the non-smoking section. This section is not really separated from the other section, so if there ARE smokers around, you would be exposed. However, we were early diners arriving around 5:30 p.m. (seems the families with kids had the same idea) and the restaurant was not smoky at all. In fact it wasn’t until around 6:45-7-ish that it started to feel more like night life. I feel confident that for lunch or an early dinner families would be in the clear.

Other things I noticed that made me consider this venue for a family outing?

* It is literally a hop, skip and a jump from the new, AMAZING Science Center, making it a handy stop after a family day of fun at SCI.


* The parking ramp for the Science Center is right there, too, providing for hassle-free parking for the family minivan.

* Children’s menus full of kid-friendly American food, including Hamburger/Cheeseburger, Grilled Cheese, Corn Dog Bites and Chicken Tenders. Leave the ‘kraut to the grown-ups, this place has grilled cheese, milk and the like for the kids.

* Beverages for kids include Coke products, Iced Tea, Lemonade and good ole MILK! Did I mention the plastic cups with lids????

* The children’s menus were paper (good for pre-dinner drawing/coloring), and offered German-themed activities, like the Black Forest maze. Cute.

* Prices are VERY reasonable. The most expensive thing on the kid’s menu is $4.20. Everything else is $3.95.

* A very unique and cultural experience for the whole family.

Where they fell short:

* No changing table in the restroom. I’ll cut them some slack though, since it IS also a “bar.” But fyi – owners? There is totally room for a fold-down changing table in there. Install one! And don’t forget the Men’s room, either. That would be absolutely wunderbar!

* A REAL non-smoking section would be nice.

5 comments:

smalltownfun.squarespace.com said...

Thanks for the great tip! I posted it on my site with a link back to you. I sent a trackback as well, but don't know if Blogger works that way.

You're going through all of the "wonderful" parts of pregnancy only this time, you already have children. Haven't hoed that row yet. I can't imagine. BTW, bra inserts don't work?

smalltownfun.squarespace.com said...

Sorry. I posted it here: http://smalltownfun.squarespace.com/journal/2007/3/25/great-restaurant-deal.html
My Blogger account is old.

The Mom of 'em said...

what's a bra insert? like padded things? tell me where I can get these!

smalltownfun.squarespace.com said...

Ugh! I hope you looked those up. I didn't see this comment back until just now (when I'm supposed to be working!) I used these and had great luck - not too thin/too thick. Had similar experience when I went to Dahl's for a quick loaf o' bread and a baby started crying.

smalltownfun.squarespace.com said...

I do this all the time: Here's a link to what I used: http://www.playtexproductsinc.com/infant/BreastFeeding_breastcareWipes.asp
My blog lets you edit comments for 15 mins. Perfect for flakes like me.