Monday, March 26, 2007

Today my husband had an eye doctor appointment. Not just a regular eye doc, but one that shoots flourescent dye into your veins and takes really cool pictures of your eyeball. Sounds cool....but we've been there once every six months for...I dunno....a million years? What a racket...feels like the same game the chiropractors have going on. You should be cured in....3,582 visits. Whatever. Anyway, as I'm sitting there, watching the other patients, playing a game where I guess what eye ailment they've got goin' on (usually they are tragically going blind and must search for a new way to live life to its fullest), and studying the other miserable designated drivers - completely understanding their painful boredom, I realized the following:

* Being a designated driver sucks. Whether you are sober Sally, or carting your husband's dilated eyes home from a dr. appt., nothing fun about it.

* There is absolutely no reason a dr. appt. where surgery is not involved should take 3 hours. That's just rude...you should pay me for the visit.

* There is not a single pop or snack machine available to the public in that office building. Coffee that was made at 7:30 a.m. this morning when it is now 2:30 p.m....and a public water fountain - not good enough.

* Reading material doesn't help in these situations...because after 2 chapters, now I"m tired...and there is absolutely nowhere to lie down.

Next time (6 months from now, of course), I'm going to do some research ahead of time. I'm going to look up new, exciting eye diseases...that'll help with my game. And I"m packing a pop and snacks. Or better yet? I'm dropping him off, heading to the mall and he can call me when he's done.

Being a designated driver sucks.


No comments: