Monday, June 09, 2008

I'm shaking my fists at you, Mother Nature!

For weeks now I've been overhearing conversations about water in basements. Boy was I feeling lucky that we have NEVER had water in our basement - not the entire time we've lived here (6 years). I was feeling so relieved that we are on high ground and not prone to such disaster. Now, let me tell you, it has been a WET spring here in Iowa...and yesterday was no exception. It POURED...and I mean POURED for over 2 hours. I was completely drenched after church and couldn't wait to get home for a relaxing rest of my Sunday. WRONG!

Here's what we found:




Please know our basement is not always this messy - you are looking at the result of throwing everything off of the floor on to whatever surface we could find. Mark made a plastic bin run yesterday - first Target was OUT! (tell ya that we aren't alone, here?) We bought 20....$$$$$...hate that!

And Bailey comes home tonight....and she now has no bedroom. I'm just sick about this most of all. I think we are going to move her mattress into Grant's room and then have him in a pack 'n play in our room.....for now. I'm just sick. What must people PRONE to water in their basements be facing? They must be knee-deep! Go away, rain!

It seems I always make 2 steps forward toward getting the house ready to list....and then 5 steps back. For any potential buyers out there....be assured that this is a FLUKE! Everyone on our street - heck - our whole neighborhood has water in their basements....and we usually...almost ALWAYS do not. We have just had SOOOO much rain that the ground can't take it...and it has to go somewhere I guess.

We're back at it today - shop-vac, cleaning, washing towels, packing stuff up to move to storage....makes me turn my thoughts to this:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ick! I hear ya on being sick of the weather. Kevin's farm jobs are queueing up like crazy because you can't mow hay in the rain. It sucks.
Sorry about your basement!

Tiffany said...

Eeek, no fun AT ALL. Makes me somewhat thankful we don't have a basement. So sorry, here's hoping and praying this rain ends soon. Officially sick of it! [And sick of trying to entertain a rambunctious toddler who HATES being inside.]

kmr said...

I'm laughing at the last picture, not the situation!