Friday, August 17, 2007

Hormones....or Good Etiquette?

A very nice friend of mine has offered to throw me a baby boy shower. This is such a nice gesture, and certainly appreciated, but I'm feeling torn about it. In the last 3 years, my friends have been to my bridal shower, wedding, baby shower....and now another baby shower? Aren't they going to get sick of buying yet another gift? My friend assures me that she had a boy shower despite it being her second child...and she REALLY appreciated the celebration as well as receiving boy-related items which she did not already have, since her first child was a girl. I know that my good friends would probably want to celebrate this new baby boy on the way - to share my joy...but I still wonder if it is better to politely decline and then if friends WANT to give me gifts - they can do that once he's born? So there isn't an implied obligation to do so?

Oh, I just can't decide if I'm being hormonally over-sensitive or not on this one. I mean - on one hand it would be really nice to gather with my girlfriends and see what sort of boy advice and items they think are must-haves....it would be nice to know before-hand what items I still need to pick up before he is born....but I don't in any way want to come off as a gimme-gimme.

I know there are people reading this blog - I can access the technology to tell me how many people read each day and how many of you are new to the site, etc. So please, PLEASE weigh in on this for me. I need your advice! If you've been a lurker - come forward now and help me. =-)

Thanks!

3 comments:

monkeysmom said...

I would let your friend give you a shower. I always offer to give my closest girlfrieds a shower for their babies - whether it's their first or their third child. In my opinion every baby deserves a little celebration, not just the one that happens to be born first! My friend and I often keep our second showers smaller, and never have more than one for second/third children, but it's a nice way to get together with friends and family to celebrate your child...and it will be fun for your child to look back on the invitation/pictures when he's older. I recently had my second child (a boy - my first was a girl) and I am so thankful that my friends gave me a shower. For me it was less about the gifts, than about the opportunity to celebrate the new life that would soon be joining us. Of course the gifts were a plus! ;) Also, your close friends are probably planning to give you a baby gift anyway and would probably love the opportunity to celebrate with you.

The Mom of 'em said...

Thank you, Celeste. I think I really am making too big of a deal out of this. If the tables were turned I would love to celebrate a new baby with my friend....thank you so much for weighing in on the subject!

smalltownfun.squarespace.com said...

Your friend wants to do this for you. Get it? Help her think of ways to make this casual and fun for everyone - less shower-y and more girlfriend-y. You'll appreciate it and they will, too. We get to spend too few precious moments with each other to guess what candy bar's been smashed in a diaper.

All the best to you, as usual!