Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My in-laws were here last weekend for a short visit. They live 6+ hours away and we just don't see them THAT often. It was so nice to have them here and to watch them play with the kids. They brought me an early, early early b-day gift (5+ months early) but after opening it....SO glad they didn't wait 'til November to give it to me! I received the Quick Cooking sections of Taste of Home magazine 1999-2007. They are bound books - one per year. LOVE THEM! I made a new dish last night and again tonight. Both were a hit....and both took less than 30 min. from start to finish. I love these books because they are what I call "normal people ingredients." Kind of like a church cookbook with fewer casseroles. =-)

Last night we had this:

Corn Bread Chicken

1 package (8 1/2 oz) corn bread/muffin mix ( I used a box from Aldi)
1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
1 cup milk
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 T. vegetable oil

In a large Ziploc, combine corn bread mix and salad dressing mix. Pour milk into a shallow bowl. Dip chicken in milk, then place in bag and shake to coat. In a alrge skillet over med-high heat, brown chicken in oil on both sides. Cook, uncovered, over med. heat for 6-7 min. per side or until juices run clear. Dee-lish!

Next time I'm going to try to bake it instead - a little healthier and hopefully equally yummy.

Next up - tonight's meal:

Mozzarella Beef Roll-Ups

1 lb. ground beef
1 med. green pepper, chopped
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 can (8 oz.) pizza sauce
28 slices pepperoni (I didn't use this many - and I quartered them for smaller pieces)
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
6 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
6 pieces (1 oz. ea.) string cheese

In a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pizza sauce, pepperoni and oregano.

Spoon about 1/2 cup beef mixture off-center on each tortilla; top with a piece of string cheese. Fold one side of ea. tortilla over filling and roll up from the opposite side. Place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake at 350 for 10 min. or until heated through and cheese is melted.

Next time I'm going to try it w/ground turkey breast to healthy it up a bit.

Try 'em! You'll like it!

No comments: